I know I have made a lot of complaints about Brazil on our blog, but as far as medical care is concerned, I have nothing but good things to say. In fact, in many ways I would say that medical care here is better than what we have experienced in the US.
The first thing we noticed was how much easier it is to get a medical appointment here, especially to see a specialist. Grace sees an allergist regularly and obviously I am seeing an OB/GYN regularly. Even when making the first appointment, we were able to get in within a week of calling. Back in the US it could easily take over a month to get in to either of these specialists.
When we go to our appointments, the doctor actually takes his time with us. The doctors here schedule hour long consultations. We always sit down first and talk about concerns and what has been going on since our last appointment. The doctor takes all vitals and is there throughout the appointment. His assistant is there to assist the doctor not to do his job.
Every doctor we have seen here has given us a business card with not only their office number, but also their home, and cell numbers (and in the case of my OB/GYN his wife’s cell as well). They truly want you to call for any reason.
I had a really bad ear infection during my pregnancy and my OB/GYN made sure I got into a general practitioner that day to get the meds I needed. After being examined by the general practitioner, the two doctors consulted each other regarding which meds were best for my situation. Both doctors called me at home several times to check on me while I was sick.
A couple weeks ago Grace was really sick and had to get some blood-work. The pediatrician called us at 6:00 pm with the results and sent us to an Urgent Care Center for some X-rays. By the time we reached the Urgent Care the doctor had already called and told them we were on our way so that we could be seen right away.
I think when we get back to the US, we will be expecting a lot more from our doctors!
Isn't it amazing??? The US has some of the best medical research facilities, yet the doctors have some of the worst "bedside" manners!!! i love how i can call our pediatrician here at 3 pm and STILL get a same day appt!!! Or the fact that we have had no less than 10 (!!!) sonograms for our baby so far whereas the Navy just reduced theirs stateside to 1 during the entire prgenancy!!! My list could go on and on, all similar w/ regards to your experiences :). it'll be a rude awakening upon moving "back" ;)
ReplyDeleteThat's great to hear! I wish it were more like that stateside!
ReplyDelete