Thursday, November 11, 2010

Mosquito Fogger

Here in Brazil, mosquitoes can be a big problem. Not only do they carry West Nile here but they also carry Dengue fever. This is a flu-like illness that can be fatal. We know somebody who got Dengue and they were REALLY sick. We always wear insect repellent if we are out at night or anywhere where there is a lot of vegetation.

Here in our condominium, they take extra precautions against mosquitoes. They spray this fog every evening at dusk. There is a guy wearing a hazmat suit, complete with gasmask, in the back of a truck spraying the stuff. Obviously they know this stuff is toxic. Just look at the chemicals pouring out of that thing, it's disgusting.

We were walking home one night from dinner and had the unfortunate experience of ending up behind the truck with nowhere to go. If we get cancer in a few years, I know who I am hunting down.

I took a few photos from our apartment for this blog, but usually I stay as far away from this stuff as I can.





2 comments:

  1. Yuck--they had these sprayers every night in Korea too, and I was terrified to go anywhere near them because I was pregnant. I can only imagine what they're spraying.
    You'd think they could come up with something else...but I guess it's better than getting dengue, right?

    ReplyDelete