Grace started school at Escola Americana on August 2. All instruction is in English with Portuguese taught as a second language. She is really enjoying school and has already made a lot of friends. After school on Monday and Wednesday she is participating in a gymnastics class, that girl always has extra energy to burn!
Dean finished his first semester at PUC and is now onto his second semester. He had some time off in between semesters and we were able to do some traveling. We visited Ouro Preto and Tiradentes in the state of Minas Gerais. We saw some amazing churches, life-sized stations of the cross, a gold mine, took a train trip, and we went horse backriding-the highlight for Grace! It was nice to get out of Rio for a while!
Now that Grace has started school I have a lot of time on my hands! I'm volunteering at her school and thinking of starting my master's degree online. I have been increasing my running and plan on running a half-marathon next June. I also plan on doing a better job of keeping up with this blog.
We have been enjoying the "winter" weather here. It's pretty funny to see people walking around in coats when it's 70'. I would love to see how Brazilians would react to an Alaskan winter!
We are very sad to announce that our dog Buttercup has passed away. She was nine years old and I'm not sure there was a more loving dog out there. She earned the nickname "Speedbump" because she was always under our feet. She loved to be around people. We were unable to bring her with us to Rio and we were lucky enough to have the Carneys (family members) step in and take care of her. They loved her as we did and it helps to know her last few months she was loved and just as spoiled as when she was with us.
Sorry to hear about your Buttercup...I can't imagine. J starts school on Wednesday, so it's crazy to hear that D is about to start his 2nd semester. Hope you all are enjoying the lovely winter weather! It's about the same as our fall weather. It turned fall last week and the same day the temps dropped 20 degrees, crazy! I'm gonna need you to brag about your summer temps when I'm freezing here in a couple of months!
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry Angela!!! I got really sad when I read about Buttercup!!! We had to leave our 14 year old dog w/ my sister and we are wondering, hoping, praying she can hang in there for us to return! I'll be thinking about you!!! Have you read The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein? :-/ It's sad too.
ReplyDeleteOn another note, you guys are all way too studious ;-). Sean doesn't even start orientation week until October! :-P.